Monday, February 4, 2013

It's the Superbowl?

People here don't watch American Football but Facebook and Twitter are blowing up with posts about the Ravens and 49ers so I know it's happening.  I tried to watch the livestream but CBS figured out I'm not in the US so it was blocked.  Not that I cared that much, but no Superbowl for me.  I am in search of Buffalo Wings here though.  So far, I don't think they exist.  I found a recipe for homemade buffalo sauce here and I think I can find all of these ingredients at the grocery store.

Anyway, this weekend was good.  Friday night I had a quiet night in and watched TV in the Media Room with a couple of the other people living at the nest.  Saturday morning I woke up and went to campus to teach my recitations.  Apparently that's a CMU word, everyone else knows them as Review Sessions.  The morning class was Stats for IT Managers and there's almost 50 people in that class so I felt like I was shouting the entire time so that the people in the back of the room could hear me.  We reviewed the stats software Minitab, Microsoft Word's Equation Editor and did some sample Probability questions.  In the afternoon was Empirical Methods for Policy.  The policy students are not numerically inclined.  It took them much longer to get through the Minitab tutorial and using the Equation Editor.  I had to rush through the last 5 minutes of graphing in excel because we were so far behind.  It's annoying that these review sessions were scheduled for Saturdays all semester, it's going to hinder my ability to take weekend trips...  I can probably make things work to go away Sunday-Monday or even Sunday-Tuesday occasionally since I don't have anything going on on Mondays or Tuesdays, I just have to plan it ahead.

Saturday night the CMU kids that live at Urbanest hosted a barbecue which was super fun.  Lots of people, including folks that don't live there came by and I got a chance to get to know them and hang out with them rather than standing in front of a classroom talking at them.  We had a really good time.  After we cleaned up, the handful of us that were still around went to a nightclub around the corner, Swish. It was a lot of fun and it was nice to not be on my own on Saturday night again.

Yesterday I slept in and then took the tram to Glenelg, the beach town.  I spent a couple of hours reading my book on the sand and then walked around the town.  When I got back, I had a quick dinner and hung out in the media room.  Ric was watching Cricket and explained the basics of the game to me.  It's not that complicated, especially when it's on in the background because he was able to point stuff out as it was happening.  I did laundry and hung out with people in the media room.  Australian tv is a weird mix of American TV shows and movies, "Australian-ized TV shows" like Four Weddings Australia, and Australian TV shows.

Today I'm hanging out on campus.  This afternoon I'm administering a databases exemption exam.



No comments:

Post a Comment